Thursday, November 26, 2009

Allen Iverson Retires

When I first heard the news that Allen Iverson was retiring from basketball my first reaction was "no way ", Not the greatest scoring guard under six feet this era has seen since Tiny!
Allen Iverson has captured the hearts of millions of fans over the years by defying the unwritten rule that basketball is for only big men.
Iverson, 34, announced Wednesday that he was retiring after 13 full seasons in the NBA.
After all of the great games in a career that isn't over the Answer calls it quits.

"I still have tremendous love for the game, the desire to play, and a whole lot left in my tank. I feel strongly that I can still compete at the highest level. But stepping away from the game would allow me to spend quality time with my wife and kids. This is a reward that far exceeds anything that I've ever achieved on the basketball court."
This came after he was told by many of his critics that he can no longer do it. The truth is that he has lost a step and that is to be expected but he still has it within himself to be a great guard for a contending team. Only pride and stubbornness have gotten in his way. Allen doesn't want to be a player coming off the bench! He wants to start and with his level of play diminishing and his speed leaving him he can no longer claim that right.
If he did choose to accept the role of a 6th man he could extend his career by 3 to five years and possibly get on a team that is contending for a title. I think ending his career this way is a mistake and he will regret it.

3 comments:

  1. When I saw this last night on ESPN, I was totally surprised, however as the reasoning for the decision begins to unfold., I find it to be a positive and most rewarding decision.
    The most important team and where you can always be MVP is The FAMILY TEAM and the career of spouse and parent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can tell you this it's going to be hard to try and find another first jordan now A.I. what is sports going to do now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just heard a report that A.I will play for the 76ers so this thing isn't over with yet.

    ReplyDelete